DRAGONS JR WRESTLING CLUB
Registration for the 2022/2023 season is now open!
Please familiarize yourself with the information on this page before registering your child.
THINGS TO KNOW:
- We will have a parent meeting on the first day of practice and will have a follow up meeting a couple of weeks later for those parents that are unable to make the first practice. During the parent meeting we will review all the information discussed on this page and will address any other questions you might have.
- Registration is $75 per athlete and ends on October 21st (multiple child discounts are available and will be applied during registration)
- This program is designed for K-8th grade.
- Practice begins Monday, Oct 24th @ High School Field House
- Generally practice is held in the evenings (6:30-8:00) on Mondays and Wednesdays, however, the practice schedule may need to be adjusted to accommodate the needs of the program.
- For beginners the season will start in late October and end in early February. Some of the more experienced wrestlers will compete through the end of February.
- The wrestling room will be open to wrestlers and coaches only.
- Practice cancellations are determined by the Pickens County school system. If school is cancelled, practice is cancelled.
- Work Ethic and Attendance – You get out what you put in. Missing practices will have an affect on your athlete's success in practice and during competition.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Your child should come dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. Sweat clothes are not advised.
- Wrestling shoes
- Head gear (recommended but not required for practice)
- Knee pads are optional
- There are novice and open tournaments that the team will participate in throughout the year.
- In order to complete in a USA Wrestling sanctioned event, an “ATHLETE” membership card must be purchased. Either of the two links below will get you to the correct location to purchase a USA Wrestling membership card. Membership cards are about $40/year
- Registrations for all USA Wrestling tournaments are run through FloArena. Typical registration fee is $25-$35 depending on the type of tournament.
- Any dual meets scheduled with local teams will be at no cost to the athlete and will not require a USA wrestling card.
WHAT IS WRESTLING?
Wrestling involves a unique balance of practically every aspect of physical and psychological conditioning. Strength is as important as stamina. Speed as technique, strategy as intensity and power as is coordination. However, it’s not always the natural athlete that ultimately succeeds in the sport – it’s the natural competitor. Kids that are strong for their weight,
well-coordinated and naturally aggressive are usually more successful early on in the sport. However, it’s the highly competitive kids that really enjoy the sport, that eventually achieve the highest levels of success. True competitors come in all shapes and sizes, and in varying degrees of natural talent. Many of the best wrestlers the world has ever seen were not star athletes. They are, and were, ordinary people with an extraordinary competitive drive. Gifted athletes, especially those that are strong and well-coordinated, typically do well and take an early liking to the sport. Some kids that thrive on competition, with only average or below average natural ability, often surprise parents and coaches by eventually surpassing more gifted kids through hard work and preparation. Although it is wise for parents and coaches to de-emphasize winning,
Victories can be extremely gratifying because of the strong sense of personal accomplishment. The effort put forth in practice and preparation is apparent in competition, and not lost in a team effort. This aspect of wrestling can be a great motivator and teacher, and can develop a person’s work ethic, self-confidence and ability to achieve in all areas of life. Wrestling is great for exposing the “champion” within most any kid, but especially those that love to compete.
PLEASE CONTACT JOSH STANLEY WITH ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THE PROGRAM (firstname.lastname@example.org)